Mar 4, 2013 - Eastern Screech Owl- red morph - found dead
Sadly, this little Screech owl was found dead up at the end of the road to my house. It didn’t have a mark on it, and felt likely it hadn’t been dead long. It was near one of the main roads so perhaps it got clipped by a car.
I often have screech owls calling from the woods around my house. I hear them more than see them. I really love the sound of their mournful call. I think I have only seen one once before, and it was a gray morph. I have never seen a red morph before. It is a really beautiful little bird, and so small…only a little over 8” in length.
I have a contact at the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard University who, after seeing what good shape it was in, said he was willing to take the bird to be used as a specimen in the museum, so at least it didn’t die entirely in vain.
24 Notes/ Hide
- outsiderartist likes this
- symbiotic likes this
- iheartthelochnessmonster reblogged this from iseultsdream
- chriss85 likes this
- memoryradio likes this
- mkatsurr likes this
- himmelueberhamburg likes this
- cabinhome likes this
- neverthegreyer said: poor baby. I hate seeing things like this, but I am glad it will still give knowledge to some one.
- neverthegreyer likes this
- klemannlee likes this
- my-memory-palace likes this
- evenifgirl likes this
- hinterdensiebenbergen likes this
- sectioaure reblogged this from teatimeatoxford
- paul-cooper likes this
- pooft likes this
- sowideasea likes this
- teatimeatoxford reblogged this from iseultsdream
- frankenstein-xo likes this
- joyforachel likes this
- iseultsdream posted this